Tuesday, October 18, 2011

midterms week

It's midterms week, and I studied a bit this weekend in my free time, and plan to study a ton tonight (after I post this of course!).  I have my Microeconomics midterm test Thurday night (study session is Tuesday night), and then have a take home exam for Strategic Management for nonprofits due on Tuesday the 25th at midnight. 

Midterms are always a tough time for me because of working full time and having so many other commitments.  But, it's this week each semester in particular when I don't want to complain.  Going to grad school at night was my choice, and going part time while working full time lets me gain practical and real-world experience, not as an intern as many of my peers are, but with real accountable responsibility.  My boss is so understanding, and is allowing me to take a study day this coming Monday the 24th to work on my take home exam.

Planning ahead comes in to play big time this week--over the summer, I had booked a weekend trip up to New Jersey with bf to visit my Aunt, Uncle, and only two cousins who are 12 and 14.  We're going to Fright Fest at Six Flags.  I looked ahead at the office School of Public Policy academic calendar, and figured midterms would be over this week, so this coming weekend would be a perfect weekend away.  I was wrong, because I still have a take home exam due next week.  So, unfortunately, I miscalculated and it messed things up slightly.  But, I am able to take time from work and get my school work done.  I couldn't do it without support at work, so if you're considering going back to school the way I'm doing it--make sure you're prepared!

This week, I also have my Bryce Harlow Fellows luncheon with the board of the organization.  It's an annual luncheon where we introduce ourselves to each other and the board, and get the first opportunity to network.  The fellowship is a monetary gift, but also a networking and mentorship opportunity with an organization that supports ethics in advocacy, something I also plan to uphold in my own career going forward.  I'm excited to meet this year's fellows--I'm a second year fellow, so also hope to see other second years as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment